As a constituent member of the Catholic Church in Ireland, we recognise and uphold the dignity and rights of all children, are committed to ensuring their safety and well being, and will work in partnership with parents/guardians to do this. We recognise each child as a gift from God, and we value and encourage the participation of children in all activities that enhance their spiritual, physical, emotional, intellectual and social development.
All Church personnel (including clergy, religious, staff and volunteers) have a responsibility to safeguard children through promoting their welfare, health and development in a safe and caring environment that supports their best interests and prevents abuse.
The safeguarding children policy document is now available to download: National Safeguarding Policy Document. There is also a concise version of the Safeguarding Policy Document which can be downloaded here.
Child Safeguarding Statement
This statement has been prepared to comply with the requirements of the Children First Act 2015 and is derived from Safeguarding Children Policy and Standards for the Catholic Church in Ireland 2016 and can be downloaded here: Child Safeguarding Statement March 2018
For the procedures to implement the child safeguarding policy, the Diocese of Ferns follows the guidance of the National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church in Ireland (NBSCCCI) which is available here.
The Diocese had developed a Safeguarding Handbook for Ferns 2018 which is a quick reference book reflecting frequently asked questions.
For the effective implementation of the 7 safeguarding standards a guidance document has also been published:
- Standard 1: Creating and maintaining safe environments
- Standard 2: Procedures for responding to child protection suspicions, concerns, knowledge or allegations
- Standard 3: Care and support for the complainant
- Standard 4: Care and management of respondent
- Standard 5: Training and support for keeping children safe
- Standard 6: Communicating the Church’s safeguarding message
- Standard 7: Quality assuring compliance with the standards
- Roles in the Safeguarding Structure
- Recording & Storage of Information
- Definitions of Abuse Categories and Pornography
- Contact Details for Relevant Statutory Authorities
- Glossary and terms
If you have a child safeguarding concern or wish to raise a matter from the past you may contact:
Towards Healing is a counselling and support service for survivors of Institutional, Clerical and Religious abuse, funded by the Catholic Church.
Towards Peace offers spiritual support to survivors of abuse by Church personnel. The service is for those whose faith has been damaged by abuse and who wish to continue their search for meaning and for God.
- Enniscorthy Gardaí 053-9242580 TUSLA 053-9233465
- Gorey Gardaí 053-9430690 TUSLA 053-9430100
- New Ross Gardaí 051-426030 TUSLA 051-440200
- Wexford Gardaí 053-9165200 TUSLA 053-9123522 Ext 201
- Garda Child Sex Abuse Free Phone 1800 555 222
Other Support Services
- One in Four
- Children at Risk in Ireland (CARI)
- TUSLA (Child & Family Agency): Contact a Social Worker
- Family Life Service, Roche’s Road, Wexford