Fr James Cullen CC and Parishioners from Wexford Town Parish and the surrounding Parishes attended the Annual Devotions at the Grotto dedicated to Our Lady of Wexford. This year saw the introduction of a celebrated Holy Mass, the Rosary and Benediction at the ceremony.This Grotto was erected in the Holy Year of 1955, and the Statue is a life size statue of Our Lady in Carrara marble and carved in Italy. Originally this shine was erected on the outskirts of the town as a wayside Shrine to commemorate the Marion year and wayfarers pause and pray there, whist the practice of gathering in groups reciting the Rosary had become widespread. A group of handmaids of Our Lady faithfully attend to the votive lights and flowers. The Shrine, which is brilliantly illuminated at night, turns the trailers’ thoughts to the Holy Mother of God. What more fitting memorial of the Marian Year could guard the entrance to a Parish, whose Churches, dedicated to Our Lady, were opened and blessed at the time of the Apparitions at Lourdes, April 1858.
May She ever bless and protect the families and homes of Our Parish. ” O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee. ‘Our Lady of Wexford,’ Pray for us.”