The recently assembled Library and Archive consists of a number of components:
a) The Diocesan Library formerly held in the House of Missions, Enniscorthy.
b) The Episcopal Archive held at the Bishop’s House.
c) The Seminary Library and Archive at St. Peter’s College, together with the school library and collection. (St Peter’s Secondary school was for most of its life a junior Seminary).
The Libray has a wide selection of books and periodicals as well as some very rare bindings.
Our oldest volume dates from 1530 (Henry V111) and others dating from the late 1500’s. There are originals of Co. Wexford newspapers and some works of early Dublin printers.
The Archive holds a wide variety of Manuscripts and artefacts, together with Church plate of varying ages and provenances (some Penal period chalices, crosses, vestments etc).
The Archive also contains Bulls of Episcopal appointments, correspondence of Episcopal, clerical and political leaders as well as Minute books ofn various county organisations, institutions and societies.
There are also significant collections such as the Hore Manuscripts, the O’ Gorman, Grattan-Flood and Kehoe collections. These are invaluable workds for those studying or researching the ecclesiastical and civid history of County Wexford.
Hours of opening are by appointment only.
- Rev Aidan G. Jones.
- 087 9182182